Functions common to different types of geometry
- Coordinate conversion
- Extract the nodes
- Group objects
- Explode geometry
- Show range
- The longest distance
- The shortest distance
- Center of gravity
- Describe with a circle
- Line on traverse (holes)
- Simplify the object
- Rotate the specified angle
- Size change
- Extract the intersections
Functions for the polygon layer
- Change the letter to uppercase
- Change letters to lowercase
- Return the length of the text
- Round a floating point number up
- Round a floating point number down
- Round to the specified number of decimal places
- Search Text String – Returns part of a string value
- Return string with changed fragments
- Return a piece of text containing n characters from the left
- Return a piece of text containing n characters from the right
- Mathematical operators on columns
- Mathematical operators on numbers
- Calculate the area
- Calculate the perimeter
- Return the X coordinate of the current object
- Return the y coordinate of the current object
- Zwróć najmniejszą wartość współrzędnej X
- Return the largest value of the X coordinate
- Return the smallest value of the Y coordinate
- Return the largest value of the Y coordinate
- Calculate the vertices
- Minimum distance to the subject
- Greatest distance between geometries
- Distance between geometry centroids
- Distance between geometry bounding boxes (smallest)
- Distance between geometry bounding-box centroids
What is Web Map Service (WMS)?
„The OpenGIS® Web Map Service Interface Standard (WMS) provides a simple HTTP interface for requesting geo-registered map images from one or more distributed geospatial databases. A WMS request defines the geographic layer(s) and area of interest to be processed. The response to the request is one or more geo-registered map images (returned as JPEG, PNG, etc) that can be displayed in a browser application.” ~ OGC
How does WMS work in practice?
To grant you ability to provide WMS as viewing service, we implement an open source solution – GeoServer.
„GeoServer is a Java-based server that allows users to view and edit geospatial data. Using open standards set forth by the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC), GeoServer allows for great flexibility in map creation and data sharing.” ~ GeoServer
How to provide WMS in MapMaker.online?
To provide Web Map Service as viewing service, first you need to edit the project which you want to generate WMS for.
After you’ve entered your project you need to click on the cog icon at the Services tab.
A window will pop up asking you to select layers which you want to provide WMS for. After you’ve selected desired layers, press „Publish” and they will be ready to be served through Web Map Service as viewing service.
You will now be able to notice, that in „Services” tab appeared two services with one being the WMS.
Upon clicking the button, you’ll be presented with a service address that is ready to be used. For example: https://geomapmaker.online/geoserver/UniejowMwMpzp/wms
How to use WMS?
You’ve clicked on the link and got something that looks like an error or some programming gibberish? Don’t fret, it’s likely that everything is working properly.
Network services’ addresses work differently from what you would expect from an ordinary Internet link. Without a dedicated interface that can process network services such as WMS, getting the data you need will require knowledge and skill to create quaries to databases. If you want to go about in-depth about creating requests to WMS servers manually, click here.
But don’t worry! If you’re not skilled in working with databases you’re not doomed.
There are several examples of software that allow you to take advantage of Web Map Services using user-friendly interfaces such as MapMaker.online, QGIS, ArcMap or GeoNetwork.
Let’s begin with MapMaker.online shall we?
To add layers through WMS service to your project, head to the „upload layer” option. Then you’ll want to move to „WMS” tab where you can paste WMS address into „WMS link” area. After pressing the download button MapMaker.online will establish a connection between application and provider’s servers. This will result in a list of layers that you can select and temporarly add to the project.